Favorite Fairy Tale Retellings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Watson
      Keymaster

Let’s hear your favorite fairy tale retellings. Books, poems, plays, movies, songs.

Here are a few of mine:

Faerie Tale Theatre by Shelley Duvall: Behold! An icon from my childhood. I only saw a handful of these star-studded TV shows from the ’80s, but I adored them. Just imagine Matthew Broderick as Prince Charming. Robin Williams as the Frog Prince. Bernadette Peters as Sleeping Beauty. Carrie Fisher as Thumbelina. Jeff Goldblum as the Big Bad Wolf. James Earl Jones as the genie of the lamp. I am not kidding! These exist. 

Once Upon a Mattress: A Broadway retelling of The Princess and the Pea. My cousin was Lady Larkin in her high school production of this play, and I loved watching it! Granted, the school-approved version may have been scrubbed a little clean, but hopefully this made-for-TV version isn’t too scandelous. Who doesn’t love Zooey Dechanel?

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (narrated by Rebecca Soler): This cute series of YA novels is like the TV show Once Upon a Time meets Star Wars. Set in a futuristic global society, Cinderella (a cyborg) must save the world from the evil Lunar Queen, with a little help from Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and several other familiar faces. The literary merit is average, but it’s five stars worth of fun. Best on audio.

Okay, now you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.